2008-09-24

Only in Canada you Say???

Hockey Night in Sheffield...England

Recently, a friend of mine who is visiting jolly old England needed to get his hockey fix. It was opening night for the local pro hockey team and ... I'll let him tell the story...

I just gotta share this with you - on Saturday night I decided to go see the Sheffield Steelers Ice Hockey team play in their home opener against Coventry Blaze - a bitter rival from 60 miles down the M1.

It's the first time I've been since I was here back in 2004 and I was quite looking forward to getting my hockey fix. When I arrived it was very obvious that they had gone to great efforts to promote the fact that their product is a Family Affair as they want to fill the seats with whole families to negate the soccer hooligan mentality that permeates sporting events over here. They were handing out pom poms to all the little girls and little boys who came in with their Mom & Dads and they had clowns and mascots all over the place - competitions for the kids - I was really quite impressed - they really had gone all out to promote a family atmosphere.

I guess at game time there was about 6000 in attendance, many of them young families - even the cheerleaders were all under 12 and the little boys and girls were dancing and copying the cheerleaders who were showcased on the big screen - the kids were in their element.

The teams came on and the kids went wild as they lined up for the face off - right off the bat prior to the drop of the puck the Coventry left winger lifts his stick up and tries to castrate his opposite number - you guessed it - 5 on 5 (brawl). I couldn't believe my luck (Ha Ha), the atmosphere changed in an instant - all the fathers resorted to their football mentality and began shouting and screaming obscenities - the little kids stood there with pom poms at their side not knowing what to do - one little girls burst into tears and others where comforted by their mothers shielding their eyes from the mayhem that was ensuing.

It was one of the most surreal sights I have seen in hockey - all these kids brought in at great effort by the club only to be exposed to the most brutal violence sport can offer - I just sat there and watched the reactions of the families around me - it was hilarious - how ironic - some Moms were giving their husbands shit for jumping up and down and swearing, serving to frighten their children as there was blood all over the ice - it was great. It was 20 minutes before sanity was restored and all 12 players were ejected as both goalies were battling.

Sheffield won 5-1 - but I didn't care - all the entertainment was before the first puck was dropped - I'll be going next Sunday.

Only in Canada they say... what a hoot!

Later... DaveO

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your comments here. We appreciate your questions and comments. Thanks.